Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sand in the Tub

It has been a few weeks since I returned from my surfing trip. When I got home, I had to rinse my surf boots and wet suit in my bath tub, depositing a fair amount of beach sand during the process. I should have rinsed the tub when I was done, but I didn't. The next morning, I showered, but the sand stayed. Two weeks later, some of the sand is still there. I can't seem to bring myself to wash the sand down the drain, but why?

I guess the sand is a reminder of my last bucket list item. I don't regret going--it is something I wanted to do--but it was a lot of hard work, and, as it turns out, I'm not very good at surfing. There were some great moments but mostly a whole bunch of paddling like mad to make it appear that I was balanced. I think I looked pretty much in control from the beach, but anyone close to me could tell I was in way over my head. I knew it, too. I just didn't want to admit it.


I spent my last day in California trying to come up with new items to fill my very empty bucket, but I just couldn't get excited about anything. I guess I need to wash the sand down the drain before I start to fill my bucket again. (I am still willing to accept suggestions for bucket fillers, but remember I am not up to what I once was.) Anyone want to help me clean the tub?

No comments: