Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Good to the Last Drop



I leave tomorrow morning to attempt the the last item on my bucket list. When I look back at what I have poured out of the bucket already, I am surprised at what I have done. My bucket did not contain anything like "Cure World Hunger" or "Bring Peace to the Middle East" but there were a few themes that became apparent. Many flying related items, I have flown almost everything slower than a jet. I have been in control of an ultralight, small fixed wing, helicopter, glider, hang glider, para sail, parachute, and all forms of radio controlled aircraft.

There seemed to be quite an outdoor active theme as well, something I am surprised at now. I have hiked, climbed mountains, scree skied, water skied, snow skied, snow boarded, bungee jumped, swam across lakes, wind surfed, snorkeled, scuba dived, cliff dived, sailed small boats, sailed a big boat, lost my swim trunks on the giggle rope, but, I have never surfed.

It is very possible that I am too old, too fat, and too out of shape to be successful at this last item on my list. I do know that I can get into my wet suit, and, more importantly, I can get out of it all by myself! I am more worried that the water will be too cold than I will get hurt or swept out to sea.


I have been checking out the surf sites on line and the live surf cams. I have decided to be at Newport Beach on Saturday at noon California time. I will be at the waters edge at high noon if you want to go to the link below:

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/newport-pier-southern-california_4227/


I will wave to you all and perhaps even go for a float.

I will be trying the Walmart parking lot camping thing I hope, but if they kick me out, I have Google mapped a bunch of Motel 6's. I am going to try and stay off the web, well mostly. I plan on doing some writing and some thinking. It has been suggested I do this in the other order but I like my way better. I will go on-line to post only, I have promised myself I will not check email etc on-line for the week. If I can't do the surfing thing, I can lay on the beach and think, there is no shortage of things to think about!

In the extremely unlikely event that I am eaten by a shark, know my bucket was empty, a shark is full and use my bucket to plant some Johnny Jump-ups in. If the sharks don't get me and Air Canada gets me home alive, then send me some suggestions about what to put in my new bucket, but just remember, I am not as young as I used to be!

No comments: