Thursday, October 22, 2009

Three Hats are Better Than One



Well, Grace has been doing a fine job of lining up worthy students for computer training in Champai, near the Burmese border. Some of the students are from local orphanages, but all are from low income situations. I look forward to meeting them. If you would like to sponsor a student (or 2) please contact me, or follow this link to donate on line.

(I hope we can put a much needed smile on their face!)

I leave for India again on the 7th of November for 2.5 weeks--this time through Germany! With a little luck, my bag will make it through the plethora of airports and airlines I will be in and on. The up-side is that I don't have to overnight in Kolkata this time; the down-side is that for the first half of the trip I will be alone.

(I have to show them how to set the time stamp on their camera, obviously)

I am wearing many hats on this trip. It never ceases to amaze me how connected and intertwined Eric (and therefore A Better World) is. I am overseeing the construction of a clinic in Zowkathar that will be managed by Medical Mercy Canada (MMC). MMC has been running a year 'round clinic in the area for more than 6 years and needed a permanent structure. The framework is up, and walls are going in. I will inspect it at about the halfway mark, and the clinic should open when the medical team is there in January.

The second half of the trip will be in southern India, near Hyderabad. ABW was approached by the Good Shepherd Lutheran church in Red Deer to assist and mentor them in getting started in international development activities. It seems that a member of their congregation travelled with Eric in Africa and has been involved with an orphanage in India. I will travel with the team from Good Shepherd and lead a community needs assessment with an impartial eye. Again, I can't keep the teacher in me down!

No comments: