Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Movies and Moving

More firsts this week: First, I willingly offered to paint a room. I hate painting! I don't know why. I would like to think it is because I am no good at it, but it turns out I am not too bad. Don't tell anyone, please. (I don't tell anyone I know how to finish drywall either, right Jon?) I had good reason to force myself into the painting gig. My son is moving upstairs, and we needed to get rid of the purple-green paint scheme left behind by his sister. He picked a very manly shade of blue that happens to work well with the pine that trims the room. It is better to be lucky than good.

One great spinoff of my son moving into a new larger room is that there is no longer any reason to have Lego in the reading room. You don't know how many times he has cleaned up all but one piece of Lego. Guess who finds that one piece...with my foot!

My son really wanted to see Zombieland. I checked with Jenni, and she said it got good reviews. I will get even with her! It is not that it was bad; I just don't do well with scary movies. Jenni and I have been to more than one scary movie, and I either shriek or jump out of my skin. Another first this week: I saw a scary movie and didn't shriek or jump, but I have had enough zombies for a long time.

My third first this week was with my 4-year-old grandson: I went to a movie at noon on a Tuesday. I said it was to give Jenni a break in the middle of the day, but really it was because I wanted to and because I can. We went to see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs--more my speed than Zombieland. He is so cute at the movie, sitting in his seat with a bag of popcorn as big as he is. He takes movie watching very seriously--no fidgeting, no talking and laughing only at the appropriate places. There were six of us in the theater: 2 grandpas, a grandma and three grandkids. What a great time! I might be getting the hang of this not working thing!

No comments: