Tuesday, November 17, 2009

You Can Never Go Home Again


I always wondered what that saying in my title really meant, or more to the point, what the author's original intent was. I searched but couldn't find an author, so I started to consider the possible meanings. I find myself caught in the most literal of meanings at this moment in time; I am currently stuck in Aizawl, India, at the top of a mountain, because the planes can't get in or out. I don't believe that this saying was ever intended to be taken literally, but when have I ever played by the rules?

I think a much better interpretation of the saying is that you can never go home to the home that you left. The difference in the home you left and the home you come back to depends upon many things: amount of time away, experiences during your absense, and occurrences at home while you've been gone all are obvious variables. I have experienced all three of these many times.

When I returned home after my first year of university, things had changed. Little things like where the cups were kept or what the popcorn is stored in. Add this to the personal changes that came as a result of the life experiences I had at university (or at least at the pub) and the fact that my parents got used to me not being there, and it was very clear to me that the home I left was not there upon my return.


A home is not the structure--that is a house. A home is the people inside that structure, as well, so it should go without saying that if the people change, the home changes too. Traveling changes you. Any learning experience changes you. Staying home and having to learn to prime the pump can change you as much as witnessing a new culture. I sometimes worry that what I become while I am away just won't fit into the home I left. For instance, I no longer shop for fun; I take much less pleasure in owning material things; I don't want a new car and would prefer to drive my old girl forever.

Life is all about changing, growing, and learning. You can never go home to the home you knew, but hopefully you can go home to something you can love.

No comments: