Saturday, November 14, 2009

And the Geek Shall Inherit the Earth


I met with Grace to talk about the computer training she is doing at CCIT and the tuition sponsorship we are proposing. She had 20 application forms in a neat pile ready for me to review. It killed me to say I did not have money for 20, that we would have to pick the top 10. She looked very sad but gamely started to go through the list. The majority of the applicants are from two orphanages, both workers and residents. We made phones call for recommendations, looked at current occupations, etc. In the end I had a stack of 10 students to start.

I hope that I can find a way to get the other ten started soon (nudge nudge, wink wink). The students will have to submit work to me once a month. Grace is making a list of the 6 projects I will get from each student. This will prevent me from going into marking withdrawal on this year off. (Year off? I need to come up with a better description than that.) I have the spread sheet for recording all of this figured out in my head, now I wonder if I can include a fancy formula? Maybe something circular? Sorry, geeking out here.

Grace said that many of the applicants have been coming in daily to see if they can start yet. I would love to have students lining up to take my CAD class, but I guess that the CAD class is not likely to triple their income so they aren't quite so anxious. I am curious to see what impact this training will have a year from now. It is interesting to see the number of computer-related things grow here even since August: more internet cafes, computer shops, and signs printed with Adobe.
The CCIT facility was spotless as usual. No shoes allowed--everything neat and tidy--and the suggestion box was front and center as you walk in. I have walked up to the CCIT to attempt to use the internet every day (it didn't always work)--a walk that seems to me to be straight up the mountain. It isn’t, but it seems like it. Grace kindly stuck a cable through the wall so I could wire my laptop at her table, kind of like sharing an office. I really appreciate it! It turns out that I am very attached to being connected. Go figure! Well, I leave here early in the morning for the long ride back to Aizawl. I want to get there in the light; you won’t believe this, but we just got word that a third bus just went over the edge. No details yet. So sad! This community doesn’t need this. Keep them in your prayers! Maybe we should be sending bus mechanics instead of doctors. Better yet, let's send both.

No comments: