Monday, November 23, 2009

A Shower of Flowers


I arrived in Guntur today to meet Pastor Sagar. Carol Perrin spent three months with the children at the orphanage Pastor Sagar and his congregations look after. I arrived during the church service and was ushered to the front and introduced to everyone. I was asked to pray with them and to bless them. Oh my! I am not used to having people ask me to bless them, that is for sure!

During the service, a young family brought their 6-month-old child forward to receive her first food. This is a tradition, I was told, and the mother looked very happy. The baby was not so much. Pastor Sagar then asked if I would give the child her first rice. My first thought was, “When did I wash my hands last?” As a grandpa, I have experience in these things, you know. It was quite an honor, albeit misguided, to be asked to do this.

After the service, we got into the car and drove to a nearby city to have another service. It was very interesting because the service was in a very plain room literally overflowing with people. There were no chairs, just mats on the floor that was covered—every square inch—with people. The men spilled out onto the road outside the church hall listening through the windows. I know many a church in Canada that would love to have that kind of problem.

At the end of the service, the children lined up for me to place my hand on their heads and bless each of them. Go figure--no lightning! Your name carries a lot of weight around here, Carol. I hope I did you justice.

After the service and some food at an elders house, we drove out to the orphanage. The amount of new development is amazing! There are 5000 squatters in makeshift shelters around the orphanage now and a college being built on the other side. We were met by the children and the teachers at the gate. I know that all children are cute, but the Indian children are sooooo very adorable! I was met by big eyes and smiling faces. After a tour of the place, we were given two chairs and the children went back to playing: boys with the ball, girls with the skipping rope. The two teachers watched over them with obvious love and care in their eyes. These children don’t have much but more than they would have on the street; a loving caregiver is a great start. Everything else they need can be fixed with money. Let’s make this Christmas a global giving Christmas. Please! Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now.

At one point the children wanted to honour me (For all I might do for them, apparently. Now I know how Obama feels.) in a traditional Indian way. They placed a flower lei around my leg, lined up, and showered me with flower petals! Quite an experience! (Again Carol, your name carries a lot of weight around here! I hope I can live up to the standard you set, but don’t hold your breath.)

Off to the airport in Hyderabad tomorrow. Back on those roads for another 8 hours. Pray for me; I’ll need it!

No comments: