Friday, November 13, 2009

Not a Good Night!

When I walked up to the computer training center this morning, I saw many of the stores near the CCIT closed. When I entered the CCIT, the number of students was greatly reduced from the day before. Grace said that many of students were up all night so they would not be in class this morning. It turns out that the day before, not one but two busses on two different roads went over the edge of the cliff killing many and sending many more to the hospital. I can’t believe anyone survived going over the edge of these mountains, though I am very happy that some did.



By 9 am the road in front of the house of the family that lost a member the night before was lined with people . Grace informed me that the young people will come in the evening and sing for the next three nights. I am amazed at the response from this community during this terrible time. I have always believed that the true nature of a person, community, or leader often reveals itself during a time of crisis. It made me think of the number of times I didn’t go to a funeral because it conflicted with a class or a meeting. I have never closed my business for the day to sit on the front lawn of a family in grief. I don’t think I have even taken lasagna to someone in mourning.

My heart goes out the families and friends that suffered such a great loss yesterday. To quote a friend of mine: “We are different, and yet we are the same.” Loss is loss regardless of where we are in the world, but how we show our support for our neighbors differ. Maybe I will go and sing tonight. Or perhaps I will just hum along...

No comments: