Thursday, July 2, 2009

Graduation, X 2





This weekend my daughter graduated, and on Monday I graduated, too. She has been going to school for 13 years and now must get a job. I have been going to school for 13 years as my job, and now I have to do something else. Interesting that we are so far apart in age but are now in very similar situations. She has a good ideas about what she wants to do and is planning how she might get there. I have no idea what I want, but I can bet the year won't be dull. I have 426 days to figure it out.


Day 426/425/424: Pick up grandkids to stay with us for a few days. My daughter and son-in-law seem to like this new career choice of mine but will only want to employ me on a part-time basis, I am sure. The best part of having grandkids is that you can spoil them, then send them back hopped up on sugar. I love having them around, but babysitting is not a new full-time career for me. I do plan on it being my parttime job, though. I do love those boys.

After I returned the grandkids today, I took my son to buy saftey glasses. He is not getting a construction job or anything; it is for play. He has an obsession with first-person shooter games, an odd trait coming from a house that is more pacifist than warrior. It disturbs me how much glee he takes in making someone's head explode with an automatic rifle on screen, so I am trying a new approach: over the summer, there is a new 'no screens during the day' policy (a necessary measure or the PS3 would never turn off).



We bought airsoft pistols and 11,000 rounds of ammo at Walmart (cheaper than a first person shooter game by the way), and spent a couple of hours stalking each other. It turns out that when you get hit in the real world, it hurts! There is no reboot button, and there is no way to pause the action when your dad is sliding across the hood of the truck you are desperately trying to close the window and lock the door of. It also did not occur to him that I might kick-in the door of the shed he was hiding in. War is hell! It is also kinda fun. I am not as young as I used to be, though. Right now I still have the upper hand, but if he ever wises up, I will definitely lose my advantage!



Well, the week will end by playing mover for the inlaws and handyman in the house next door. Maybe, if I get my shop cleaned up, I can even find a plane or two to fly. So far no one has said the words "data," "curriculum reform," or even "Daily Lesson Plan" to me this week, and it feels good. Until next week, keep the trenches warm. I expect to see you again in 423 days.

No comments: