Saturday, July 25, 2009

Surprise...It's a Girl!


There have been a lot of boys born into our family but very few girls. I managed a nice balance in my own immediate family, but my siblings only produced boys--seven of them! All my grandchildren (so far--hint,hint J/G) are boys, and very cute I might add. I am not complaining; I have never been one to care what sex our babies are, only that they are healthy and happy, but that is not so for everyone in our family. I remember going to Value Village after an ultrasound confirming the sex of our soon-to-be-born son to pick out an outfit because we could get "the right color" now. My then young daughter anounced very loudly that she would be in the pink isle. We had to explain that the clothes that you buy them have no influence on the hardware babies come out with.


After years of trendsetting events, we have come to expect that those living creatures that come into our life are most likely going to be boys . Even when we are confident that our efforts would produce a girl, we were often surpised. For instance, my parrot, Corky, was purchased as a female when I had thoughts about using her to produce little parrots. Birds are hard to sex, that is true, but everyone said she was a girl. She was more feminine in build than the other parrots; slighter in the head; she only liked men, hated women. The breeders thought she was a girl. The vets thought she was a girl. Before we invested in another, however, we thought we would have her surgically sexed. Surprise...she's a boy! The vet was so surprised that she offered to do the surgery again for free in a year. She just couldn't believe it. Corky is a boy!


About three and a half years ago, my son got a Bearded Dragon for Christmas--a cool little guy by all accounts. I have never sexed a dragon before, but hey, with a book and the internet, how could I go wrong? All signs pointed to "Spike" being a boy, and what with the trend in our house, no one was suprised. As Spike grew, his maleness was reconfirmed at regular intervals. I recieved a phone call today from my wife asking me to guess what she found in Spikes cage: more than a dozen eggs! Suprise...Spike is a girl. More of a spikette I guess.

This is why I don't play the stock market. No matter how strong a trend seems to be, it is only a a trend, not a rule. Life would be much duller without suprises like this. One thing is for sure, no one will never die of boredom around here!

No comments: