Thursday, April 15, 2010

It's an Icelandic/Germanic/Indian Birthday


This is the oddest birthday I have had, that is for sure. It started flying over Iceland and carried right on through to Kolkata, India. For many years, Donna would make me an angelfood cake (yes, I get the irony) with whipped cream and frozen blueberries for my birthday. Often, my Aunt Winnie would follow this with another angelfood cake with high-quality vanilla icecream and a great cup of coffee. This year everything seems to have changed. I got a McDonald's egg McMuffin and chased it with a German beer; you make do with what you have!

This should be the time of my life when I am wrapping things up, shutting things down, looking to retirement, and I do think like that sometimes but not often. I have learned too much the last few years--mostly that I know nothing and that there is so much I want to learn. I don't mean book learn or letters-behind-my-name learn; I mean the type of learning that comes from experiencing. And I want to share that learning and lead the experience for others. I want to open my mind and open others near me.

Last year at this time, I was in the middle of a cancer scare. Shortly after my birthday, while I was on top of a mountain in Bolivia viewing ancient Incan ruins, I learned the good news that I did not have cancer. I had the mental flow chart ready for the other answer--plan A,B,C,D and E--but it turned out I got to pick the first box that said,"If no, exit flowchart."

I have no idea what this next year holds for me other than being sure it will not go the way I plan. I do know that I will continue to attempt to do what is just; I will work at loving constantly; and, I promise, I will try harder to live humbly.

No comments: