Monday, February 22, 2010

Shaken, and Stirred

It was after midnight before I turned in and some time after that before the adrenaline turned to deep sleep, but, tired as I was, at 4:36 this morning I went from a dead sleep to highly alert. As I leapt from my matress, the first thing to go through my mind was my mother's voice saying, “You should always wear PJs to bed,” but I don’t. The second thing to go through my mind was the knob on the dressser. Apparently, I had rolled over in the night, and, when I lunged out of bed, I lunged from the wrong side of the matteress into the nearest piece of furniture. What did not go through my mind was if the shaking was caused by a truck; in no time at I I was fully aware that no truck was causing the tremor that woke me. Aftershocks are an effective way to stir one from slumber!

We are all fine, and there was no new damage in the area around where we are staying--none that I can tell, at least. It would be tough to know if some of these buildings are more damaged today than yesterday. It is tough to get back to sleep after that type of an awakening, but I tried. Needless to say, the day started at 4:30 a.m.

There was no water this morning, and it is very hot today, so I bet I smell pretty ripe. I did get some texts out, but communication is tough and very sporadic. I got a connection at lunch long enough to let my family know we are fine and to get a broader message out via Facebook. Thanks to my editor for getting an update on the blog site as soon as she knew we were safe. That is a big help. But enough about me...

We have been working on getting water to Thor’s camp for a few days now. We met with the camp council this morning to work out the final details. We then left them to build a stone pad 1.5 meters high for the tanks while we went to the bank to get money. As it turns out, they can build faster than we can get cash. We have tanks in place tonight, and the water truck is ordered for tomorrow. This does not fix the problem; the water has to be paid for, but the residents will have to work that out. A Better World will supply the first six-weeks worth of water, but then they need to sustain themselves.

I now have three building proposals to talk over with myself: standard wood frame with a stressed skin (inspired by the Hawker Hurricane), a pole frame (inspired by a 1960s' hay shed), and a ridged steel frame hoop house on steroids (inspired by insanity, I suppose...the Gordon Gilchrist 2010 variety). Coming up with these options has been kind of a trip down memory lane for me. Who would have dreamed that what I learned in aviation school might keep earthquake survivors dry decades later?! I need to have a solid plan in place soon so we can get started ASAP; the rains are coming! I have promised myself (and Eric) that I will bring these semi-permanent shelters in for a $1000/family. Remember, that amount won't buy you much of a garden shed in Canada, but they would be happy to have one here.

I was shaken awake and stirred into action this morning and have not stopped since--not stopped thinking at any rate. Keep us in your prayers, your thoughts, and your cheque books. The Haitians have labour, building materials, and a huge need. All they lack is a little help ($$$) which we can provide. Thanks to all who have sent comments, emails, and words of support. Remember, for every person who comes down here to help, there should be 100 people behind them at home. Nothing happens without your support, THANK YOU!!!!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to hear that you and the other volunteers are well - even if a little shaken up. The photos are amazing and agree that it would be difficult to tell if damage due to new or old activity. Thanks for the price tag of the shelter. My company in CA matches my contributions to the below organizations - which do you (on the ground) feel will do the better job? (the Pan American Development Foundation, the American Red Cross and Save the Children). To get the double $ it has to go there, but in heart and soul I'll visualize the work you and ABW are doing. God Bless you all!!

Unknown said...

When I spoke with you briefly on gmail last night I didn't realize you were talking about an earthquake that happened THAT morning! Holy smokes.

Unknown said...

Oh my! Thanks for the pictures in your blog and in the link you gave me. There is obviously so much / total devistation. You are the right person to be scheming for solutions.
Murray