Sunday, December 20, 2009

Now This is AutoCAD!



Reality just took a giant leap sideways in my world! I took my son and daughter to see Avatar in 3D today, OMG! I saw some extended previews and a bunch of the behind the scenes stuff when movie producer Jon Landau spoke at the Autodesk University conference the first week of December. The movie uses a bunch of Autodesk software to create the final product. I knew it was going to be good, but it wasn't just good, it was incredible!



The story is not extraordinary, no one ever walked out of Star Wars and said "What a unique story line, I didn't see that coming", but like Star Wars, this movie changes cinematography forever! CG and reality are indistinguishable in this movie, I just can't get over how incredibly real the world looks that was created.



The Avatar characters are so lifelike, the facial expressions so real, I never thought of the leading lady as a CG character, but as a real humanoid. So real, I think she might have to go on my card! (See old Friends episode with Isabella Rossellini) I mean this girl is hot, even in blue!



This is the dawn of a new age in blurring reality, I can't wait to see where this leads. For the first time ever I am going to go back to the theater to see this movie again, this time in 2D. I found the 3D a bit distracting at times, so I want to compare the 2 technologies. I am betting that the movie will be just as impressive in 2D. Now my mind is racing with the possibilities that this technology will bring. What an awesome Christmas present!

No comments: