Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Newtons, Watts, and Windmill Blades



What a great day, not often you can say that about a 12 hour drive. Murray and I left early this morning for a week at the Reno Air Races, one of two remaining things on my bucket list. For reasons I don't understand, Murray didn't want to take my firefly? I can't understand it, I drove this very highway with my firefly about 19 years ago, and she has put on 522,000 trouble free kms since then. I conceded to his better judgement, he is older, so we took his car.

The first thing I noticed is how much I had missed talking with him. He noticed there was no need to find a radio station... The first cool thing we saw was a train load of windmill blades, these are huge blades! We also saw many of the windmills in the Lethbridge area, and across the boarder near Great Falls.

By Ulm, Mt, we had the Junk Yard Wars plane designed. Murray said no pushers this year, we built a plane with a prop in the front, and one in the back. On launch on the second flight I cut Murray's fingernail clean through in 3 places when he didn't move his hand fast enough. This year, no pushers! Look out competition, we are not holding back this year!

Next came the Electric commuter car I am planning. This task required a snooze in the middle for Murray, but 350 mile and some great road math later, and I think we have some solid numbers to work with. If you see someone on a motor cycle being pulled behind a truck buy a fish scale, don't worry, it's probable just us.

12 hours of planning, pondering and pontificating, what a great day!

No comments: