Monday, August 31, 2009

Maybe Life IS a Beach


When I get home on Sept 2, I will have been away one full month, and, although the experiences hae been very diverse, I have to say I like this last week is best. My son and I drove a load of furniture and stuff out to the coast for my aunt. I think it was her sly way of getting me to come visit, but, whatever the motivation, we are having a great time! My son has never been to the ocean--which is ironic because for many years now he has been saying that he wants to be a marine biologist.
I was a bit worried that he may get here and hate the smell or not like the humidity. But better to find that out now than after four years of university! He got his first glimpse of the ocean as we crested the hill in Tsawwassen near the ferry dock. It was cool to see him excited about something other than first-person shooter games. He enjoyed the trip over on the ferry, too. It included an informational session about the coastal region...presented by a cute, young, enthusiastic Parks employee. I'm sure it was because of his keen interest in whales and seals that she held his rapt attention!

After spending the night at my aunt's, we all went up the west coast to Port Renfrew, stopping many times along the way to see the beaches. The first beach was French Beach, a rocky beach with great tide pools. Then there was a sandy beach. Then a beach with great outcroppings. The road was great for driving: twists and turns, climbing and diving. It would have been better in a Porsche! My son loved the ocean, and it was great to spend the day with my aunt. Funny that she lives only a mile away most of the year, but I had to drive for 14 hours to have a great visit with her. I think that means I am too busy.
Today we spent the whole day going from one beach to the next all the way from Ucluelet to Long Beach. Now that area is a federal park; you need passes and you must park in designated stalls. The last time I was here, we were on a family holiday. Dad drove the VW van with 7 people in it across a logging road to get here. (My mom's fingernail marks are still in the dash.) When we got here, mom was freaked out by all the hippies living on the beach, and dad accidentally backed into a ditch when we tried to leave. I am sure I met some of those same hippies this time, but they don’t live on the beach any more. They drive Beemers and park sideways in the stall to avoided getting dented.
My son had a great day, and I even made it through the 3 o’clock burnout with the help of a snooze on a log, which was more comfortable than some of the beds I've slept in this month! I do love the ocean, and I miss the beach. If life is a beach, I am all for it!

No comments: