Thursday, March 11, 2010

Un-Plugged



I have become increasingly plugged in--my choice--and I like it that way, but I am now past the halfway mark on my one-year leave from work and have yet to wake up and wonder what I might do today. I hate to admit that I don't even have to get out of bed to plug in. I have a computer on my bedside table, another at the foot of my bed, and third in my living room next to the TV, and a fourth that fits in my fanny pack. My phone gets my email from 3 accounts, instant messages from 2 more accounts, text messages anywhere in the world and, oh yes, it gets phone calls on a bluetooth earpiece, too. It is not uncommon for me to get up at 3am to pee (I am getting older) and have an IM chat with India or England. I sleep with an ear open for the "bing" of incoming anything, and I wake to the glow of a flat screen. I am not complaining, and I know that I am not the only person who lives this way. I do choose to live like this, and, for the most part, I like it. I am plugged in!

I have been threatening to take a holiday, to grab a last minute deal and spend a week snorkeling or something. That idea is not working out for me. I am too cheap. What if there is a better deal next week, after all? But, after returning from Haiti, the need for a holiday has gotten even greater. A trip like that is stressful, and my life has not been event-less this year even without the earthquake. If a holiday is out of the question, maybe I could schedule a small breakdown, but who has the time?

Here is what I have decided to do: I am going to unplug. No, really I am! At noon on Saturday the 13th, I am going to unplug. I am not going to check email, write reports, answer questions, answer emails, text, or solve anybody else's problems for 1 week and 1 day. When I told my scheme to various members of my family, I always got the same response. You guessed it: laughter. Well I am going to do it! I am going to get up in the morning and go for a walk, or fly my plane, or fix the plane I flew into the barn yesterday morning, or whatever I want. I might throw a dinner party or learn to cook (order would be important here), or I might read a book (Okay, quit laughing). So, for 8 days I will be as good as dead to the e-world, and my guess is that little will change, and few will miss me.

Haiti was a very powerful and sobering experience that I wish no one would ever have to repeat. But if such a thing should happen to my family and community as happend there, I hope that there will be those who will assist us as we assisted them. I do not regret in any way, shape, or form going to Haiti. As a matter of fact, I am looking forward to returning on the 30th of this month, but I need to breathe for myself for a bit. Paradoxically, I need to unplug to recharge. So I will see you all in a week and a bit. I suppose the safe money is on me surfacing sooner. Maybe someone wants to start a 50/50 pool going as a fundraiser or something, but I won't know about it, because I WILL BE UNPLUGGED!

3 comments:

Carole Calenso-Fair said...

I expect you can hear the laughter even out on the farm. Too bad we can't put some sort of a "plugged in" detector on you...that's the only way anyone I know is going to but $$$ into the Pool. (Sorry to hear about the plane. Guess you need practice!)

Gordon Gilchrist said...

I haven't flown into the barn yet, I haven't made time to fly, but when I make time to fly, there is a good chance that I will hit something. No fun just boring holes in the sky!

P.S. Talk to Jeff, he could tell if I cheat!

Anonymous said...

My money is on you lasting the entire 8 days, and no one I know deserves it more. You don't settle for being there to support your family and friends, you travel all over the world and pour yourself into helping those whom, oftentimes, you've never even met. It must be incredibly draining. I only hope one week is enough. The world has too few of the good guys; I shudder to think what happens if they all go on hiatus.