Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Live From Vegas

Well here I am at 7 a.m. on a Monday morning in Las Vegas, and something isn’t quite right. For starters, I got up at 6 a.m. whereas 10 years ago I would have still been up at 6 a.m. Worse yet is the reason for my early rising in ; during my stay in Sin City, I got up to go to work! As I write this, I am giving a CAD exam to my students back in Olds, Alberta—giving it live and interactively. Making these arrangements has been a very involved process and has made me realize that I would make a terrible hostage! Gunmen, remember my name, and if you find me in your grasp, just shoot me or release me, because you do not want to have to deal with me. (This statement might also hold true for controlling managers…)

If you cannot follow the link between these two events, then you just don’t understand my twisted mind, so let me explain. About four months ago, I knew I would be at this amazing conference and suggested that I deliver a class from here. Everyone thought it was a great idea, and it appeared that the necessary technology would be in place. But things do not always move at the pace I prefer, and three months later, it became apparent that, for whatever reason, the College would not be in a position to make my idea a reality. Those fateful words were uttered: “Sorry, it is not going to happen. We just don’t have the manpower.” And the new, more relaxed me said, “Shucky darn. That’s too bad, but oh well.”

Fast-forward two more weeks. It became obvious that I could not avoid having an exam during the week I would be away. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem as I would simply have the program I.A. proctor the exam, but the College eliminated that position this fall. We no longer have an I.A., so I asked my Chair if another I.A. was available. None were; it seemed at the time that everyone was busy. My Chair, bless her heart, offered to proctor the exam herself if no one else could be found!

Enter the old me!! He might be less relaxed and more stubborn, but he can always build the proverbial 'better mousetrap.' THERE MUST BE A BETTER WAY! I cannot personally push the massive CLC machine to move fast enough to solve this problem with technology, but I recognize (and can’t understand why no one else seems to) that it is crazy to use a department Chairperson’s time to proctor an exam. What to do? Every way seemed blocked, but it has been my experience that if the front door is locked, the back door is often open. And, said the old me, firmly taking control now, if the back door is locked, climb the T.V. antenna tower, remove a section of soffit, and climb in through the attic (which is the topic of another blog--as soon as the statute of limitations is up!) But somehow there is always another way in! Do not tell me that it can’t be done!

At this point, my mind goes into the spin cycle. (Murray has learned over the years that it is best to step back because it often spins a little off balance.) I committed to myself that I would find a technical solution that minimized the impact on other staff—why should my problem be theirs, after all? I started bouncing ideas off people in the know, and I got answers like, “We could do that, but it would be quite a bit of work,” and “We would have to get Drumheller up and running first.” So I arrived at a solution that I could do mostly on my own, and—a few tie-wraps and a little cabling later—here I sit., in Vegas at 7 a.m. proctoring my own exam, answering my own questions, and doing my own job with very little impact on others. (As I type this, my first exam was handed in. Yes!). Robin, you have some great people!
The exam is over now, and my 20 students are carrying on with their day. We have great students at Olds College, and they will adapt to a new paradigm far faster than will we. My strength working overseas is that I am creative and cheap; those traits sometimes serve me well at home, too. A web cam, some tie-wraps, free software, and 20 feet of wire means I may never have to leave Vegas! Thanks to all of you who helped, gawked, offered advice, or pretended you didn’t know what I was up to. The new, calmer me is back now, and I will try to keep old me boxed up until I really need him.

1 comment:

Etherdancer said...

Ok.... too much like me!! Don't tell me it can't be done and just remove the soffit, dammit!!! hahaha Free software, some tie wraps, cabling and a webcam hehehehe LOVE IT!!!

BTW, I had to do a little counselling to get to the "more relaxed me" but still get twitchy when I KNOW it can be done... through the backdoor or through the roof!!!