Wednesday, September 17, 2008

How to Create the Common Cold



If you want to study the common cold, you have to be able to produce it. Here is a sure-fire recipe:
First, collect seemingly empty incubation units, preferably from all over the country. Bring those incubation units together and pack them into confined boxes. For best results, continually mix incubation units between boxes. Often this in itself is enough to produce excellent results in about two weeks. To speed the process or to create new strains, however, try these helpful hints:
  • ensure that incubation units run for a minimum of 18 hours each day.
  • combine all incubation units into one large box and agitate.
  • add loud music, causing the units to vibrate and collide with each other. If you want spectacular results, also add a little alcohol to the mix.
Wait 7-10 days, and voila! Your incubation units will produce copious quantities of the common cold for you.
***************************************************************************************
We are starting the third week of classes, and the sickness level rises exponentially at this point in the year. I, too, have fallen victim this year--something I often avoid. Olds College has it better than some institutions, partly because we don’t have classes of 500 and partly because students often are with the same group of people all day. After many years behind the teachers desk, I have become reasonably good at differentiating between stomach flu and the 24 oz flu (sorry, I mean the 500ml flu), between eyes red from allergies and those red from sleep deprivation.

College is more than learning how to learn. For many of our students, this is their first time away from home. Some of our students become of age during their first year here. So while I am trying to get them to be thrilled and excited about CAD or GPS or soils and such, I know I am in competition with topics like dating, exploring entertainment opportunities, or, as I viewed on YouTube, Olds College hallway tray surfing! I make it my personal goal to be more entertaining than hallway tray surfing, but I know I will never be able to compete with dating.

I walk the thin line of ensuring that students realize the connection between action and consequence while still providing a positive learning environment. I will get nowhere if I take a dictatorial approach, but I am not doing them any favors if I do not set high expectations for them to meet. Instead of saying, “Don’t come to my class hung over!” I prefer, “You don’t look so good; you feeling ok? There is no puking on my keyboards you know! Puking on my keyboards is bad for your mark. How is that balance between personal life and professional life going for you?”

I need to create a learning environment in the face of colds, distraction, hallway tray surfing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythe2cCtiMc ) and life. So far I think I am doing OK.

No comments: